The vascular system is one of the most complicated systems in the body. Because it’s such an intricate network , there’s only one type of doctor you should trust for your vascular care — an expert vascular surgeon.
In fact, according to the Society for Vascular Surgery, “Vascular surgeons are the only medical discipline trained to care for patients using every vascular treatment available and are uniquely qualified to make the most accurate diagnosis and prescribe the best treatment for the best outcome.”
Vascular surgeons are trained to provide highly effective, comprehensive treatments for vascular conditions, including varicose veins and Spider veins. Vascular surgeons approach vein treatment as it relates to the entire vascular system. When you choose North Shore Vascular for your vein care, you receive the expert treatment of acclaimed, board-certified vascular surgeon Dr. John Golan.
A True Vascular Surgeon
Researching vein treatment facilities and physicians can be confusing. In fact, three broad groups of physicians typically refer to themselves as “vein doctors,” including vein specialists, phlebologists and vascular surgeons. However, vascular surgeons like Dr. Golan, are the only ones granted American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) certification.
The following points introduce the differences between a vascular surgeon, a phlebologist and a vein specialist, so you can better understand the importance of having your vein treatments performed by a board-certified vascular surgeon:
- Vascular Surgeons vs. Phlebologists: with the advent of endovenous laser technology in the early 2000s, the volume of varicose vein treatment increased exponentially. Unfortunately, this technology led to a huge increase in the number of physicians from any specialty becoming “vein doctors.” In 2007, the “specialty” called phlebology was established to set standards of practice and establish training programs for taking care of vein issues. However, phlebology is not recognized as an ABMS specialty. There are no residency training programs in phlebology. “Board-certified” phlebologists may not have training in surgical or invasive procedures. Frequently, phlebologists have no formal surgical training and are limited in the options they can offer their patients.
- Vascular Surgeons vs. Vein Specialists: The term “vein specialist” can be a deceiving one. This phrase is used by many medical professionals — including internists, cardiologists and dermatologists — who are typically ABMS-certified in their practices but also perform vein procedures. There are no requirements, no regulations, no standards of care to be a “vein specialist.”
The North Shore Vascular Difference
You’ve made the decision to seek medical treatment for your varicose veins – now what? You want to have confidence in your doctor and you want the treatment done correctly and effectively the first time. North Shore Vascular continues to stand above other area vein treatment facilities for several reasons:
- Dr. Golan is an ABMS-certified vascular surgeon, top in his field, with the ability to provide all vascular treatments, including EVLT, microphlebectomy and sclerotherapy.
- North Shore Vascular treats the condition or health issue causing the spider or varicose veins
- Dr. Golan is considered one of the foremost experts in EVLT and varicose vein treatment. He was one of the first vascular surgeons in the Chicago area to the learn the EVLT procedure and has now performed more than 5,000 laser vein procedures. He is an attending physician at NorthShore University HealthSystem and is a Senior Clinician Educator at University of Chicago Pritzer School of Medicine
- Vein clinics, often national or local franchises, are typically not staffed with board-certified vascular surgeons. They employ other types of physicians and call them “vein specialists.” North Shore Vascular offers the best of the best: a board-certified vascular surgeon, a board-certified physician assistant, and an ICAVL nationally certified lab that meets the same criteria as hospital-based labs.
If you need vein treatment, know you’re in the best hands when choosing North Shore Vascular. Call or complete our brief contact form to request an appointment today.